Collection: Stirling District Asylum
Collection Ref.: GB 0559 SD
Stirling District Lunatic Asylum was established in 1865 by the Stirling District Lunacy Board. The first patients were admitted in June 1869, many being transferred from asylums in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee. Located in Larbert the institution was renamed Bellsdyke Hospital in 1960. The historical records of the asylum were transferred to the University of Stirling Archives in April 2012.
Patient records including admission registers (1869-1941); registers of deaths (1869-1977); case books (1869-1918). Administrative records including annual reports, committee minutes, official circulars and memoranda.
No further accruals are expected
The University of Stirling Archives holds the historical records of NHS Forth Valley which also include the archives of the Royal Scottish National Hospital, Larbert.
Falkirk Archives hold the following material relating to Bellsdyke Hospital: building plans (1881-1947); copies of patient magazines (1901-1903)
To protect patient confidentiality there is a 75 year closure period in operation for adult clinical records. Please contact the University Archivist for further details.
In 2016 Layla Essat, a Masters student in Gender Studies at the University of Stirling carried out a research placement in the University Archives. She produced a series of articles on her work on the Stirling District Asylum which are reproduced here: