Collection: Haldane Collection
Collection of books donated by the Haldane family, who formerly owned the Airthrey Estate, on which the University of Stirling is built. Robert Haldane of Gleneagles bought the estate in 1759. His great nephew, Robert (1764-1842), made many improvements, including the building of Airthrey Castle to a design by the architect, Robert Adam. He also added many trees to the estate and created the loch, which is at the centre of today’s campus.
Robert Haldane junior was a theological writer and funder of evangelistic enterprises. He financed a number of mission projects in Scotland in the late 18th/early 19th century, including the setting up of classes for lay preachers and the establishment of a number of new congregations in Edinburgh. His brother, James (1768-1851), was also an evangelist. He was instrumental in the setting up of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel at Home in 1798 in Edinburgh.
The collection contains mostly theology books of the 17th – 19th centuries, including titles by Robert and James Haldane.
Extent: 139 titles
Custodial history: Donated to the University by the Haldane family in 2011.
Accruals: None expected.
Access conditions: Please contact us in advance of a visit or use the request form.
Languages: English, French, Latin