Collection: Drummond family papers
Collection Ref.: MS 42
William Drummond (1760-1824) set up in business in the late 18th century as a nurseryman and seedsman in the Bannockburn area. He leased ground at Coneypark, Stirling, from about 1800 which continued in use as a nursery until the late 20th century. The business flourished and with his eldest son from his first marriage (also William) Drummond opened a shop at the corner of Baxter's Wynd (Baker Street) and Bow Street, Stirling, in 1814, offering an advisory service to leading agriculturalists from all over Scotland . The Drummonds were pioneers in turnip development with 'Drummond's improved Swede.' The firm took premises in King Street in 1820 and when they were destroyed by fire in 1898 moved to Murray Place. The business later moved to a premises in Colquhoun Street following a fire in Murray Place. In 1831 William Drummond held his first exhibition of agricultural produce in Stirling which attracted thousands of visitors. As a result of this success Drummond's Agricultural Museum was established in 1833. In 1843 William's grandson David Drummond opened a branch of the business at 16 (now 58) Dawson Street, Dublin. Another branch was opened in Carlow in 1931. W Drummond & Sons Ltd was incorporated in Dublin as a limited company on 10 October 1895. The company retained its family connections with family members maintaining control until the premises closed in 1981.
Business records of William Drummond & Sons Ltd. including: minutes of company meetings (1895-1919); articles of association (1980-1919); financial records and accounts (1858-1973); material relating to Drummond Agricultural Museum (1832-1851); sales catalogues (1814-1976); business correspondence; photographs.
Family papers: material created by / relating to William Drummond (1709-1766); William Drummond (1760-1824) - founder of W Drummond & Sons Ltd.; Peter Drummond (1799-1877) - founder of the Stirling Tract Enterprise; Henry Drummond (1809-1888); Jane Drummond (wife of Henry); James William Drummond (1850-1934); Professor Henry Drummond (1851-1897); Hamilton Drummond (1913-1904); Henry Claude Drummond (1883-1916); H. J. H. Drummond (1912- ).
Extent: 8 boxes
A full list of the Drummond family papers (MS 42/2) has been created and a box list of the business records of William Drummond & Sons Ltd. (ref. MS 42/1) is also available.
Custodial history: The collection was donated to the university by H. J. H. Drummond in the 1980s.
Accruals: No further additions are expected.
Access conditions: Please contact us in advance of a visit by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
MS 50: 'The Stirling Tract Enterprise: its rise and progress.' Manuscript copy of the history of the Stirling Tract Enterprise written by Peter Drummond in 1860.
Special - Drummond: publications of the Stirling Tract Enterprise, established by Peter Drummond in 1848.
Special - Drummond MA 6130.D7: a collection of the published works of Hamilton Drummond (1857-1935), historical romance writer and poet.
Special - Drummond 0 21.0092 DRU: 'H. J. H. Drummond, Ancestry and Early Life, 1912-51', a typed memoir written by H. J. H. Drummond including information on the history of the Drummond family and extracts from H. J. H.'s diaries.
The National Library of Scotland holds a collection of the papers of Prof Henry Drummond (1851-1897), Free Church Professor of Natural Science, explorer, evangelist and theologian (ref. Acc. 5890).