Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
If you wish to keep your references in the longer term, it is important that you take action before you graduate or leave the University. It may not be possible to retrieve or transfer them once you no longer have access to your University computer or network account.
How can I use my EndNote Library after I graduate or leave the University?
The University's EndNote licence only allows the software to be installed on University owned computers. If you no longer have access to a University of Stirling machine and network account you may use one of the following methods to retain access to your references and PDFs:
EndNote Online - Will I get a 'premium' or 'basic' account?
University of Stirling staff and students have access to a 'premium' level of EndNote Online access which has no limit on the number of references or file attachments and access to 3,300+ referencing styles. Retain premium level access for a minimum of one year after you leave the University by authenticating your EndNote Online just before you leave (see instructions below).
At the end of your premium access period your account will revert to EndNote Basic. EndNote Basic allows up to 50,000 references, 2GB of file attachments and 21 referencing styles.
EndNote Online - I don't have an account, how do I get one?
If you have a personal account for Web of Science you can use this to access EndNote Online - there is no need to register again for EndNote..
To get an EndNote Online account:
- Logon to Web of Science via the University (Portal > Resources tab > A_Z Online Resources > Web of Science).
- In Web of Science, click the EndNote tab at the top of any screen and Register.
- Once you have registered or logged in, you can click the EndNote tab again to enter your EndNote Library.
EndNote Online can be accessed at any time at http://www.myendnoteweb.com.
Before you leave the University follow the instructions in the section below for users with an EndNote Online account.
EndNote Online - I have an account, what happens next?
Before you graduate you should synchronise your EndNote Desktop library with EndNote Online and authenticate your account as follows:
- Synchronise your EndNote Desktop and EndNote Online accounts - In EndNote Desktop click Tools and select Sync
(if you have not already setup your Sync preferences click Edit > Preferences > Sync and enter your email address and EndNote Online password before trying to synchronise accounts).
- Login to EndNote Online just before you leave the University. Your one year of premium access starts from the last time you login via your University account.
Help with EndNote
Check the guides on this EndNote help page. Check the tabs at the top for more information.
If you can't find what you need contact firstname.lastname@example.org
EndNote for Your Own Computer
EndNote Desktop is available for University computers from the Software Centre and our Licence now allows you to download to your own device. See our help page for important information.
Alternatively, you can purchase a copy at an academic price if you wish.
How to I transfer my references to another EndNote account
If you have EndNote on another computer (e.g. if you have purchased a licence or are moving to another University which has EndNote) use the Compressed Library backup feature.
- Select File > Compressed Library (.enlx)
- Select the relevant options e.g. 'With File Attachments' to make sure you retain your PDFs.
- Navigate to the folder/drive to store your compressed backup copy
- Rename the file and click Save
Restoring your EndNote Library on another computer
- Open EndNote.
- Click File and select Open Library
- Navigate to the folder where you stored your compressed backup and click the .ENLX file.
Your Library (comprising .ENL and .DATA ) will be saved to the folder where you stored your backup .ENLX.