Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
If you wish to export your references and associated PDFs to Mendeley, Zotero etc. you must do this before you leave the University.
There may be limitations on what you can export and how it will be organised in the new software that you are transferring to (e.g. Mendeley, Zotero, RefWorks) e.g.:
- PDFs - Check/test if the PDFs will be exported before transferring lots of records. It may be that only references can be imported.
- Group/Folder structure - It is unlikely that your groups structure will be transferred. If you transfer all references in a one transaction will be imported in a single list. The alternative is to create your group/folder structure in the new software and transfer your references in batches according to which group/folder you want to put them in.
Export from EndNote to Mendeley (including PDFs)
To export both references and PDFs you must export your references as an 'EndNote XML' file then import that into Mendeley Desktop:
- In EndNote, select the references that you want to export to Mendeley Desktop, and click File > Export...
- In the 'Save as Type' box select 'XML (*.xml)'
- In the 'Output style' box select RefMan (RIS) Export
- Choose a name for the file and click the 'Save' button
In Mendeley Desktop:
- Open Mendeley Desktop and click File > Add Files
- Select the file which you exported from EndNote and click Open
- Click the Sync button to synchronise your Mendeley Desktop with Mendeley Web
- Close Mendeley Desktop and open Mendeley Web (www.mendeley.com) to check that your references (including any attached PDFs) have transferred
Download Mendeley Desktop to your personal computer and click the Sync button to synchronise with Mendeley Web.