Skip to Main Content


Use RefWorks to collect and manage your references and help with your in-text citations and bibliographies.

How to keep your references when you graduate

As an alumni you may continue to use RefWorks for as long as the University continues to subscribe to RefWorks. Use one of the two methods below.

  • Update to an Alumni RefWorks account.
  • Export your references to alternative free referencing software such as Mendeley or Zotero.

It is very important that you make arrangements to transfer your references before you actually leave the University.  It is much easier to help you with this process while you still have a University network account so that you can access the University Portal and RefWorks.

Updating Your RefWorks Account to Alumni

You must have an existing username (your university email address) and password for new RefWorks (or RCM - RefWorks Citation Manager).

(If you normally 'Use login from my institution' and don't use RCM - see instructions below to create a personal login..)

  • Login to new RefWorks using your university email address and RefWorks password.
  • Click your name in the top right corner and choose Settings.
  • In the Profile section change your Role to Alumni
  • Update your email address if you will no longer be using a university email address.

  • Scroll down to the Institutional Credentials section and click Remove Credentials

  • You may be asked to update your password.

Creating a Personal Login

If you usually 'Use Login from my Institution' you will need to create a user name and password to convert to an alumni account.

  1. Login to New RefWorks: 

  2. Click your name at the top right and select Settings

  3. Scroll down to Alternate Password and click on Set alternate Password

  4. Enter a new password and click Save