Collection: Airthrey Estate Papers
Collection Ref.: GB 0559 AE
The University of Stirling occupies the site of the former Airthery Estate. The university campus began to take on the appearance it enjoys today in the late eighteenth century. In 1786 the Airthrey Estate was inherited by Robert Haldane who built Airthrey Castle to a design by the famous architect Robert Adam. He also transformed the estate, adding many trees and creating the loch which is at the centre of today’s campus. Throughout the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries the estate was further developed by the Abercrombie and Graham families. Extensions were added to the castle, further trees were planted and a bridge over the loch was built. In 1939 the estate was purchased by the Local Health Authority and Airthrey Castle became a maternity hospital. The estate was granted to the new university in August 1965 and construction work began. Airthrey Castle continued to function as a maternity hospital until 1969 when it was also transferred to the University of Stirling.
Title deeds and associated papers concerning lands of Airthrey, 1792-1945; Estate papers (including leases of farms and properties), 1796-1947, including inventories of Airthrey Castle, 1922-1941; Papers concerning Airthrey Paper Mills, 1910-1940, and water and electricity supply to estate.
Extent: 4 boxes
The Airthrey Estate Papers have been fully catalogued and a copy of the list of contents is available below. A copy of the list is also available for consultation in the archives reading room.
Note: The collection does not include any material relating to Airthrey Maternity Hospital.
Accruals: No further additions to collection expected.
Access: Please contact us in advance of a visit or use the request form.
Publications: The following publications contain useful information about Airthrey Estate and the local area.
Airthrey and Bridge of Allan: a guided walk, Stirling: Forth Naturalist and Historian, 1986
Campbell, Alex R. Airthrey Castle Curling Club: a history, 1878-1998, [Stirling: The Club, 1998]
Fergusson, R. Menzies. Logie: a parish history, Paisley: Alexander Gardner, 1905
Mackay, K. J. H., and Angus, David. Airthrey roads: Captain Haldane's magic roundabout (offprint from Forth naturalist and historian 9 (1984/85): 81-111) Concentrates on the years 1759-1827, but gives a summary of the earlier period. Also compares all the early maps of the estate.
MacLean, Ella. Bridge of Allan: the rise of a village, Bridge of Allan, 1971
MacLean, Ella. The Airthrey estate: a visitors' guide, Stirling: Airthrey Gardens Group, 1974
Roger, Charles. A week at Bridge of Allan..., 2nd ed., Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1853
Photograph of Airthrey Estate taken in 1960s.